Creating a Valuable Expression GameYou know the routine, 2x + 3z, evaluate the expression when x = 2, z =1
You see the disconnect here right? None of our students care what the solution is. Now, let’s create a new expression in which students value the solution.
1) A tennis ball
2) Meter/Yard Stick
3) Stop watch
4) A football field/ or play ground
5) And an expression worth evaluating
Here’s the goal. Students will be given points based on two variables: hang time (t), distance (d).
New expression: 2t + 3d
1) Have your students line up at the goal-line of a football field
2) Designate a ball return person
3) Have each student throw the tennis ball as high and as far as they can and record the hang time and distance
4) When you return to the classroom, write the expression on the board and have each student evaluate their points to see who the winner is
Extra: Want to make it harder? Use decimals or fractions.
For example use the expression 2.1t + 3.2d or 2/3t + 3/4d