Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rock, Paper, Scissors Math Variation To Teach Angles

Most rock, paper scissor, games are played with an odd number of choices in order to optimize each choice. I choose to use four choices obtuse, acute, right and straight

 Obtuse x > 90 degrees


Right Angle 90 degrees 


Straight Angle (line) 180 degrees

Acute Angle x < 90 degrees





So here's how you play
1) Have your kids right down the choices and write their definition as well as draw a picture
2) Provide your students with the rules of play (shown below)




RULES OF PLAY

1) Obtuse Angles beat Acute angles 
2) Acute beats Right and Straight Angles
3) Right angles beat Obtuse angles
4) Straight angles beat Obtuse and Right angles. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great game! Did you make it up?

This would work in the younger grades as well. I think they start learning about obtuse, acute, straight, and right angles as low as fourth grade. Of course, they seem to need the review each year - and what better way to learn it than with a fun game like this one.

Cheers,
Tim
from SuperTeacherWorksheets.com

Boffa said...

I'd say this is your best idea yet. I can't wait to try this one out.

Boffa
boffasworld.blogspot.com

Boffa said...

I just confirmed with myself the game is statistically flawed, but I imagine the students will still get a kick out of it.

Jeremiah Dyke said...

Hey Boffa, thanks for the feedback. You are absolutely correct that since we are dealing with even outcomes there is no optimal strategy. Students would do well to choose 2 of the 4 outcomes every time since they have a higher win probability. I toyed with the notion of introducing other types of angles to get an even number, but i decided that the students probably wouldn't initially know the better strategy and would serve as a learning experience. I hope to try it out soon. Thanks for stopping by :)

Mrs. Rempel said...

I'd love to add a reflex angle into the mix. Any idea of a possible hand signal for it?? I'm bad with strategy stuff. Would that help by making it an uneven number of options?

Post a Comment

Any feedback is welcomed